Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sportsmanlike Conduct?

One of my favorite things to watch in sports is when there is an amazing display of sportsmanship. I believe God desires each athlete and coach to display sportsmanship every time they step out into their athletic competition. We are commanded in scripture in Romans 8:29, “To be conformed to the image of Christ” which really is the absolute model for sportsmanship in athletics.

However, I do believe there is great caution that we need to take in our view of sportsmanship. It is crucial to look deeper into the heart of the sportsmanlike act to see if it truly is pleasing to God. What does that mean? It all goes back to the motivation of the person engaging in the sportsmanlike act. Why are they doing it? For whose Glory is it being done?

Countless times in my life I have sinned because I tried to do things because I knew it would look good to those onlookers. From a bystanders point of view it may look selfless and loving. Inwardly I did it because I knew they would think that. So when does sportsmanship become pleasing to God? Simple, it is pleasing to God when the sportsmanlike act is completed for the Glory of God and not for anything else. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”

So next time you pat someone on the back or help them up when you knock them down, evaluate your reasoning for doing it. To God be the Glory!

Brian Conklin
Omaha FCA Director

No comments: