Friday, March 6, 2009

Coach Spotlight with Mark Leonard


I recently sat down with Mark Leonard to ask him questions about his faith, family, and coaching. Mark is the head boy's basketball coach at Leigh High School in Nebraska and he and his wife, Deana, serve as the huddle coaches for the Leigh FCA huddle.



Describe how you felt called to coach?

When I was in college, I really didn’t know what I wanted to be only that I had a love for sports and I wanted to be involved with sports in some capacity. I tried several different majors in college such as Pre-Med and Accounting, but none of these areas seemed right for me. The Lord led me to try some education classes and I fell in love with the many positives that I could have in one’s life through education and with coaching. The coaching profession is difficult, but I know that by staying consistent with my philosophies, I am making a positive difference with the athletes and students I get to work with on a daily basis.

What is your favorite part about coaching sports?


My favorite part of coaching is when I see my players living up to their God-given potential both on and off the playing fields. I love to teach my players about the details that go along with each sport and help instill positive character traits that will benefit them throughout their lifetimes.

What is the biggest struggle you have as a coach?

The biggest struggle I have as a coach is keeping my priorities always in order during the sport seasons. Due to the pressures and the time commitments it takes to be a good coach, one’s priorities can easily get out of order. To overcome this struggle, I start each morning out by reading the Bible to get into the correct frame of mind for the day. My family understands how important coaching is to me and they are very supportive. As a family, we always try to eat our night meal together whenever possible. Sports are a major part of my life, but I always have to keep it into perspective that they are not the most important part of my life. My relationship with God and my family must always take priority.

How do you connect your faith in Jesus Christ with your job as a coach?


As a coach, my faith in Jesus Christ has allowed me to get through some difficult times during my coaching career where at the same time, it has always reminded me to stay humble with my coaching achievements. Through my faith in Jesus Christ, I am better able to deal with disappointments and to better put these setbacks into perspective. What Jesus Christ went through on the cross for us cannot even compare to any failures or defeats one experiences as a coach. As a Christian, I know that not all circumstances with coaching are going to be pleasant, but by keeping my faith and trust in Jesus Christ, I am able to keep a positive outlook on each season.

How do you balance family time with your coaching?

It is all about keeping your priorities in focus. My wife and I have three young children and we have made it a priority to raise our children in a Christian home. I know it is important that I make time for my family, which means coaching must be put on hold sometimes. It is important for me to be a positive role model to my family and that means making the time to be both a good husband and good father. When the balancing act of coaching starts to outweigh my relationship with God and my family, I know it is time to refocus and better prioritize what is most important to me.


Josh Reynolds
Area Director
Central-Northeast Nebraska FCA

No comments: