Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why Do Sports God's Way?

"Amazing grace! how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see."

Lately as I have observed my own life and the lives of others it has become more apparent how wretched we as humans really are. Now probably at this point you are thinking, wow...thanks a lot Nate...Appreciate the encouragement! And I don't say this to ruin your day but actually to encourage you to think about how fortunate we are as Christians.

Romans 1:32 says this: "Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." And what things might God be inspiring Paul to write about? Well, there is a big long list of them but verse 30 really stands out to me: "slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents;"

Its amazing as you watch the sports world and see many of these items listed at the end of Romans 1 lived out very well. It is unfortunate but it is true. And it has also been true of me. But then God sent His only Son to earth to bear His wrath of punishment for that very sin that you and I have committed on the cross. He died and then rose from the dead declaring victory over the forces of evil in this world. Then his promise in Luke 9:24 made more sense: "whoever tries to save his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for me will save it."

That is why we Do Sports God's Way...Jesus is all that matters.

Amazing grace! how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Nate Lewis
FCA - Area Representative
Western Nebraska

No comments: