Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Preach the Gospel

This past week I had the opportunity to have a great conversation with a former Pastor and current full time local tennis pro. This pro has an up and coming tennis business and already has the pleasure of giving lessons to over 800 people. During our conversation he told me something that struck me. He told me that with his new job of teaching tennis, he has had many more opportunities to preach the gospel and give pastoral counseling than he ever did with his time as a full time Pastor. This, to me, was surprising.

What a great challenge this is to us who spend so much time in the sports world. Do we have this same understanding of our role in athletics? It doesn’t matter if we coach, cheer, or compete. We will all have that same opportunity to share the gospel and speak biblical truth into the lives of those who we come in contact with. Let me encourage everyone reading this blog to see your role in sports as a direct calling from God. He commands us all to preach the Gospel. Will you view your athletic arena as a pulpit? The gospel must go forth!

Brian Conklin
Omaha Metro FCA

No comments: