Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Be a Doer of the Word

"But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." - James 1:22

Towards the end of last week and the beginning of this week I have been consumed by non stop tennis during our one day FCA tennis clinics in Scottsbluff, North Platte, Hastings, and Omaha. The one consistant thing I seemed to hear from both athletes and coaches throughout the time we had together was this: "I understand what you are saying. I have heard this at church before." They were hearing what God was saying through His word but what was interesting was they had a hard time walking in obedience to His commands on a tennis court. Everything they had just heard about how God desired them to compete had just went flying out the window.

That is why this passage of scripture came to my mind when thinking back on the clinics. Even for me it was challenging after talking to the kids to then go out and compete with the glory of Jesus as my sole motivation. I hear what God desires of me in competition but actually doing that out on a tennis court is a totally different story. God is still training my mind to compete out of a desire to honor and glorify my savior and be a doer of the word, not just a hearer. I would hope this would encourage you to not settle with what you think you understand from God's Word and that you would continue to analyize and train your heart to compete and do life God's Way.

Nate Lewis
FCA Area Representative
Western Nebraska

No comments: