Saturday, April 3, 2010

“Outdo one another in showing honor.”


This past basketball season, I coached the Nebraska Christian Girls' basketball team. Following the season, the Golden Rod Conference awarded both our boys and girls teams with the "Sportsmanship Award." The award considers player, coach and fan conduct along with team management. Before I committed my life to Christ, this type of award would have meant very little to me. However, after repenting of my sins and receiving Christ into my life in college, this type of award has become very important. Every believer in Christ is called to be a witness for Him -- no exceptions! Both our message and our actions are important witnesses for Christ. A philosopher once said, “Show me your redeemed life and I might be inclined to believe in your redeemer.” We should also have holy competition among believers. Below is a blog written by Stephen Altrogge that makes this point. -- Gordon

"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."
(Romans 12:10)

There should be a holy competition among God’s people. A competition of showing honor to one another.

We’re called to outdo one another in showing honor. Half-hearted, irregular attempts don’t cut it. I’m supposed to outdo you in showing honor, and you’re supposed to outdo me. What a wonderful competition.

Kings are honored. People respect them, serve them, and consider their interests as most important.

I’m called to treat you like a king. To go over the top in honoring you. To honor you far more than I honor myself. It’s a holy competition.

What would it look like if I made a concerted effort to outdo my wife Jen in showing honor? How would that change the things I say about her, do for her, and care for her? What would happen if I outdid the members of my small group in showing honor? What if I tried to beat my friends in showing honor to them? What would change?

It would be glorious. Let the games begin.

Written by Stephen Altrogge

1 comment:

Carrie Ritchie said...

All our Service Providers are among the best in market, each having an experience of around 5 - 15 years in the domain and hence their quality is miles ahead of the local technicians. We don't send random unverified service providers; all of them are background checked and police verified. Hence they are trusted & reliable. We ensure a guaranteed satisfaction on your job. We also offer 7 days warranty on the work done in case you are not satisfied. We would do the rework free of cost should a problem arise within 7 days of the work done by us. http://www.plumbersmidlandtx.org