Monday, June 2, 2008

Spiritual Wind Sprints

Gassers. Suicides. The County Fair. "On the Line!" These were all terms that my flesh dreaded to hear during my years in competitive athletics. I knew that pain was imminent and unavoidable. I also knew that this physical conditioning was essential for me to achieve my goal of becoming the best athlete I could be.

In order to max out, every athlete must go into strict training. The physical and the mental aspects of any competitive endeavor require a great deal of effort to prepare for. But there's more...what about spiritual conditioning?

In 1 Timothy 4:7,8 the Apostle Paul tells his young disciple Timothy that there is a need to be trained, disciplined, conditioned spiritually. Physical training is only of little value; it's only good for this life. But a spiritual conditioning - spiritual wind sprints - are good both for this life and eternal life.

The spiritual disciplines include prayer, study of God's Word, fellowship with other believers and being a witness of Jesus Christ to those around me and they are crucial to our growth in Christ. They require strict training because they are costly, but they also have a double benefit; holding promise for both this life and the life to come!

In time I learned to accept (even like) gassers. In time I have learned to accept (and love) daily prayer, time in the Word, fellowship and witnessing in order to max out. Will you join me in this spiritual training?

Chris Bubak
FCA-Nebraska State Director

No comments: