Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Standing "O"

"Going a little farther, He fell facedown and prayed, "My Father! If it is possible, let this cup pass from Me. Yet not as I will, but as You will." - Matthew 26:39

Last night the Kansas Jayhawks became the College Basketball National Champions in a thrilling overtime victory over the Memphis Tigers. I have to admit, I was very happy about this as I have followed the Jayhawks year in and year out ever since I was a kid. However as I was listening to Memphis Head Coach John Calipari's comments about the closing moments of regulation, I began to question whether or not Kansas actually won the game. Of course Kansas won the game on the scoreboard, but in the eyes of God, it may have been a different story depending on the heart of the Kansas players in winning the title. Follow along closely as the stage is set and you read the comments about the situation by Memphis Head Coach John Calipari:

The Tigers were up 62-60 with 10.8 seconds left and his standout freshman was ready to hand-deliver Memphis their first national championship.

Hit both free throws and Rose might rival Elvis Presley as Memphis's favorite son.

"I'm going to tell you what I said on the bench when Derrick went to the line," Calipari told reporters. "You know, I think everything in life happens for a reason.

"And I sat there and I looked up and I said, 'Lord, if he makes this, these two, we're supposed to be national champs.' And if that's your will, I'm fine. And if he misses them and we're not, I'm fine with that, too.'

"That's what I said in my mind."

(This whole article can be found at Yahoo! sports on the web.)

It is obvious that John Calipari wanted to win that game pretty bad. If I were in his shoes, I would have wanted to win pretty bad too! I'm not sure where Coach Calipari stands with the Lord Jesus Christ, but it is pretty obvious to me that according to those comments, he valued the will of God over his own. Wow...congratulations Coach Calipari and praise God for that championship perspective in a very tense situation. You get a standing "O" from this servant of God and Kansas fan. Sounds a lot like Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Sounds like a man Doing Sports God's Way.

"If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. What is a man benefited if he gains the whole world, yet loses or forfeits himself?" - Luke 9:23-25

Nate Lewis
Area Representative
Western Nebraska

No comments: