Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Confidence Anyone?

If you spend time with me it won’t take long to discover that the Cleveland Indians are a hot topic in my life. You can also draw the conclusion that it pains me deeply to watch the ace of the Tribe, CC Sabathia, struggle mightily to kick off this season. He still has all the tools to be the best pitcher in the majors, but right now he seems lost out on the mound. It comes down to one word: confidence.

Confidence either makes or breaks athletes. The world says that confidence comes from seeing results. What about the player who never sees results? Can they ever be confident?

As a former athlete I found myself on a roller coaster ride of emotions. If I struck out the first batter then I would have 10 strikeouts. If I hit my first three pointer then I would hit 5 threes. Early results would dictate how I played the rest of the game.

This was a very man centered attitude. I either trusted in myself or didn’t. It was all about me. The Bible is very contrary to this thought. Proverbs 3:26 says, “the Lord will be your confidence.” When the Lord is your source of confidence, then circumstances or results won’t drive your play. If the cross is your motivating factor and the finished work of Christ is your confidence, then you can compete freely. So where is your confidence? It’s not about you. It’s not even about results. It’s all about Christ.

No comments: