Friday, October 3, 2008

Do Not Love the World

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions-is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.


A good friend of mine often tells visitors to Nebraska that the state religion is “Husker Football”. While this is meant to be a joke, I would argue that there is much truth in that statement. As I examine my own heart, I often seem to have more passion for the Big Red than I do for the Almighty God. My joy and enthusiasm for life can be wrapped up in whether the Huskers lose or win on Saturday. I can’t count how many times over the years that the major conversation during church on Sunday mornings revolves around the outcome of a Husker football game. Often times, I am the one in the middle of the conversation. I’m guessing I am not the only Christian in Nebraska with these same struggles.

As I read these verses in 1 John 2:15-17, I see a warning for those who love the “things in the world”. I do believe that God has created sports for athletes, coaches, and fans to enjoy and steward for the advance of the Gospel. However, we are so prone to loving sports more than God. Jesus tells us in Matthew 22:37, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” What a powerful and condemning statement! I immediately feel conviction and recognize that I don’t always love God the way Jesus commands.

The key in all this is to remember verse 17, which says, “And the world is passing away along with its desires…”. In light of eternity, Husker football and sports in general are fleeting. No championship trophy, all-american award, or season ticket will last forever. We won’t get to the end of our life and wish we had spent more time satisfying our desire and love for sports. Many of us will wish we had spent more time doing the will of our Father.

Some key questions to ask yourself are:

1. Do I honestly love sports more than I love God?

2. Do I spend more time in God’s word, prayer, and worship of God OR in
watching and playing sports?

3. As I compete or watch sports, is my love and motivation directed towards the Lord?

4. Does my joy flow out of the ups and downs of my favorite sports team? Or,
does it flow from the daily reminders of God’s grace and mercy?


Josh Reynolds
Central-Northeast Nebraska FCA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so humble and real. Not many people would admit this.