Friday, May 9, 2008

A Father's Love

I came across this incredible video and story again this week. Team Hoyt is comprised of a father and his paraplegic son who compete in triathlons and ironman races together. The ironman race consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile marathon run. I don't know the spiritual condition of these two men, but as I watched this video, I realized there are several spiritual analogies to consider.



It is moving to watch this father's care and love for his son. In many ways it is like the love our heavenly Father has for his children. I was also struck by the definition of love in 1 John 3:16, "By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers". Team Hoyt is a great example of how we should serve and love our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Finally, it reminded me of Exodus 15:13, where Moses and the people of Israel sang to the Lord, "You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength to your holy abode." As redeemed brothers and sisters in Christ, who still carry with us unredeemed fleshly bodies, we are all being led and guided by the the love and strength of the Almighty God. Jesus says in John 15:5, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." As we run the race of life, the only way we can ever have hope of crossing the finish line is through the substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:21 tell us that, "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." It is through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ and his finished work on the cross that we can be saved and have the hope of eternal life!

Josh Reynolds
Central-Northeast Nebraska FCA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to find this article in this web, I don't know if the people will find it easy and then they can read it for they help? Please pray for the word of God to be expended in to all over the world so that the people can hear and be interesting on it for they salvation. The world became so daty on the way I can not explain. So may God help us with mighty power, use as to bring other people for the salvation. May God bless you for this effort. thanks

Alphonse B. Migabo
37 Highurst Court
Highurst Street
Radford
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham
NG7 3JP

e-mail: alphonsemigabo@hotmail.com