Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Godly Discipline

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. - Galatians 6

Discipline as defined by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

5 a: control gained by enforcing obedience or order b: orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c: self-control

As coaches we all demand it of our athletes. But as Christians, have we taken time to look to our head coach - Jesus Christ - to see if we ourselves are truly living a life of Godly discipline?

As we study the fifth chapter of Galatians and get an idea of the context that the previously mentioned scripture is coming from we see that the fruit of the Spirit of Self-Control is contrary to the acts of the sinful nature which are mentioned at length in verses 19-21 of Galatians 6. In other words, Self-Control is not natural. But as we begin to read verse 22 there is one very important phrase that leads us to a life of God honoring self-control and that is this: "But the fruit of the Spirit is..." So apparantly God honoring self-control is only possible according to the Word of God through a life lived by the Spirit.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." - Jesus - John 15:5

So how do we remain in Jesus and live this life of Spirit filled self-control?

"Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." - Jesus - Luke 9:23-24

A life of Godly discipline as a Christian first of all starts with an understanding that I do not own my life, God does. Then there has been one simple prayer that has helped me a ton in living out areas of Godly discipline through the power of the Spirit and it goes like this: "God I can't do this...please help me" If we believe God's Word is true then we can believe that he will help us because of his promise to us in Isaiah 41:10 that he will help us. So next time you are running that last wind sprint in practice and considering wether or not you should let up or maybe the next time you don't feel like getting up and having a quiet time or working out or loving your husband or wife, pray this prayer, ask God to help you, and live by the Spirit and then experience another fruit of the Spirit...joy.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

Nate Lewis
Area Representative
Western Nebraska

No comments: